COMING - MONDAY, JULY 21, 2015 1:00 pm
In this inspiring Disney sports drama based on actual events, Kevin Costner plays a high-school football coach who ends up leading a cross-country track team made up of lower-class Latino students to a state championship. Jim White (Costner) finds his days as a football coach numbered when an incident with a player leads to his dismissal. Desperate for work, he moves his wife (Maria Bello) and daughters (Morgan Saylor and Elsie Fisher) from Idaho to McFarland, CA, a rural town that’s predominately Latino and the only place willing to give him a teaching job. The family feel like they don’t fit into their new community, but White has an epiphany one day when he sees his students running from their early-morning farming jobs to school: Why not channel their talents into running cross-country track? Soon enough, White is connecting with his young charges, particularly a gifted athlete named Thomas (Carlos Pratts), and the squad set their sights on a state championship. Author: Jack Rodgers
FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
SUMMER READING PROGRAM FOR ADULTS
The 2015 Summer Reading Program will take place from July 6 to August 13.
Pick up a reading slip at the library and see how many categories of books you can read this summer.
The theme this year will be BOOK VENTURE: 2015 Reading Challenge, using a checklist by the web site POPSUGAR. Adults and Young Adults are challenged to read books from a list of 50 recommended categories, many of which will challenge the reader’s regular book choices.
A number of activities will support our summer reading program. Please join us for our various events
- Breakfast With Books – a social gathering to kick off the summer season. Thursday, July 9, 10:30 a.m.
- Movie – McFarland USA – Tuesday, July 21, 1:00 p.m.
- Coffee Hour - readers will discuss the books they’ve read to date – Wednesday, July 29, 12:00 p.m.
- Hula with Cheri – see what Cheri can magically create with hula hoops – Monday, July 13, 6:00 p.m.
- Ice Cream Social – a sweet gathering that puts a cherry on the ending of our summer reading program, Thursday, August 13, 2:00 p.m.
A sheet listing all programs and dates of the summer reading program, as well as sign-up sheets, will be available at the Library.